News Archive


17 year old Zak Bryson, Whitemoss AC who made his Highland Games debut at Blackford on Saturday raced to victory in the Open 90 metres handicap.
Bryson won both his heat and cross tie before charging through in the final from the 7 metres mark to snatch victory from fellow 17 year old Martyn Paterson, Central AC [9.5 metres] ans Sean Harris. Dunfermline West Fife AC [7.25 metres]
Bryson snapped the worsted in 9.65 seconds to claim the £100 prize.

Paterson gained some consolation by winning the 200 metres handicap, running from a start of 28 metres he cruised home impressively in 19.94 seconds, with John Lowis DWF [38 Metres] and veteran Tom Nicholson, Wishaw[36] in second and third respectively.

A big field of 16 runners lined up for the 400 metres handicap and Hawick duo Ross Borthwick[36m] and former New Year sprint winner Leigh Marshall[26m] made the long journey up from the Borders a proftable one by finishing 1st and 2nd with brothers Craig Robertson, Pitreavie AC [22m] and Scott Robertson, Dunfermline [28m] in 3rd and 4th.
The winning time for Borthwick was 49.13 seconds.

A couple of gutsy performances saw DWF's Owen Millar land an 800 metres and 1600 metres handicap double, in the 800 Millar[90m] sped round the two laps of the only 400 metres grass track on the circuit to break the tape in 1 minute 54.3 seconds, games newcomer David Simpson,Pitreavie AC[110m] was runner up with veteran Craig Bell, Forfar[105m] in third.

Despite being penalised 10 metres to the 150m mark in the 1600 metres, Millar still proved too strong to win in 4 minutes 24.12 seconds, John Bates, Melrose [120m] was second with Graeme Gibson, DWF[120m] who has only recently returned to action after being out for 10 weeks after having his foot trodden on by a horse in third.

Glenrothes athletes won the three Youth's races that were on the card, Ross Freil did the 90 metres 200 metres double, running from the 18 metres mark in the 90 he comfortably won his heat in 10.13 seconds, he improved on that in the final to take the tape in 10.04, debutant's Amy Collfield[24m] and Mark Dennis, Edinburgh[23.5m] were second and third.

Friel was 'pulled' to 32 metres in the 200m but was strong enough to hold on from a trio of fast finishing backmarkers, Jonathon Faulds, Falkirk Victoria [5m] 2nd, Derek Allan DWF[11m] 3rd and Douglas Paul, Falkirk Victoria[9m] 4th.
The winning time was 23.74.

In the 800 metres Dylan Lindsay made good use of his 150 metres start and was soon in control of the race and went on to win in 2 minutes 02.9 seconds with female duo Laura Brown, Pitreavie AC[145m] runner up and Amy Armstrong ,Edinburgh[190m] 3rd.

There was a field of nine bikers and it turned out to be a good day for Lewis Oliphant who won all four races on the card, the racing was good however with all the races well contested, Tim Allan had to settle for the runners-up spot on three occasions, an inteesting newcomer was Swede Hans Forhaug who is based in Glasgow, he claimed a second and third place and will be a welcome recruit on the circuit this summer.

In the heavy events Fifer Bruce Robb emerged as the overall points winner with the team from Moffat getting the better of 2009 champions Elgin to take the Scottish Tug of War title.

Published: 2010-05-31 14:07:46