News Archive

Unfortunate Strathmore washed away by thunderstorm writes Shane Fenton

After starting out in glorious sunny and ideal conditions two hours later the Strathmore Games within the grounds of Glamis Castle had to be abandoned due to a thunder and lightning storm followed by torrential rain which just refused to go off.

The organising committee after a lengthy consultation with the various officials were left with no option but to call a halt after the games arena and surrounding areas were awash following the deluge.
Only a handful of track events took place and it saw the Bell family from nearby Forfar record a father and son double, Craig senior who has won at the Forfar Games on several occasions in the past, struck again to take the Open 800 metres Handicap ahead of Graeme Gibson, DWF and Willie Bates,Tullibody.
Craig junior stormed through from the backmark to take the Youth's 90 metres handicap with Torphin's Fraser Davidson claiming the Open 90 ahead of games newcomer Loren Harris from Aberdeen.
It was at this point the elements took over, however after a lengthy break the track officials decided they would carry on, however the moment starter Adam Crawford fired the gun for the start of the Scottish 800 metres Cycling Championship an even louder bang erupted from above and the monsoon conditions returned.
Despite the sodden and waterlogged conditions the cyclists to their due bravely battled on with the title going to Fifer Tim Allan from Glenrothes ahead of last years winner Neil Withington,Carlisle with the evergreen Dave Mathieson, Newburgh in third.
This completed a double on the day for Allan who won the only other race that was completed the 1600 metres handicap.
Still the action continued with the Open and Youth's 200 metres Handicap races, onkly three youngsters appeared on track for the latter with Douglas Paul splashing his way to victory with Willie Bates doing likewise in the Open race.
Enough was enough and proceedings were brought to a halt as everyone sought refuge before skidding and sliding out the car parks and heading home. 
Everyone's thoughts were with the organising committee who saw their big day wrecked by a couple of hours of freak weather in their area.
Everyone within the grounds of Glamis Castle deserved a medal for what they had to endure that Sunday afternoon.

Published: 2009-06-15 14:14:56