News Archive



SHANE FENTON reports from The Wilderness.

Despite a small thunderstorm which sent all and sundry running for cover Airth Games enjoyed another successful day.
There was some notable performances on the track and in the heavy events.

There may have been thunder overhead  but there was lightning on the running track with Ewan Dyer, Pitreavie AC showing excellent form to win both the 200 metres and 400 metres handicaps.

In the 200m he[31m] won his heat from John Lowis,Kirkcaldy [39m] and Sarah Ross,Pitreavie [56m], the other heat went to Martin Barr, East Kilbride AC[36m] with Nick Mitchell, Glenrothes[38m] following hm over the line to qualify for the final. Dyer produced an excellent run in the final to come through from the backmark to snatch victory on the line from Mitchell and Barr.

Despite running from the backmark in the 400 metres and also burdened with a 2 metre penalty, Dyer[29m] again proved too good for his rivals to win in 47.95s from Willie Bates, Tullibody[47] and Martin Barr[47].

There was a close finish to the 90 metres handicap with all six finalists tightly bunched as they crossed the line, the verdict went to the previous weeks Balloch backmarkers sprint winner Oliver Lawson, Edinburgh[5.5m] in 9.51s, who edged his Capital compatriot Donald Tod[6m] with Lewis Hunter, Pitreavie AC who won the 200m at Burntisland earlier in the week in third, the latter had only qualified for the final as a fastest loser, filling the minor placings were Liam Halliday, Central AC, Ewan Dyer and Susan Young, Dundee Hawkhill.
In the 800 metres, Mike Murdoch, Glenrothes[130m] who is in his first season on the games circuit and still seeking his first win looked set for glory in the 800 metres only to be agonisingly overhauled in the shadow of the winning post by Rowan Marr, Lasswade AC[75m] with Willie Bates, Tullibody[90m] in third, the winners time was 1:50.98.
The 1600 metres was won in fine style by Fergus McGaw, Dunfermline[180m] he stretched clear of the field to win in 4:14.98, Dean Whiteford, Innerleithen[150m] was runner up and Rowan Marr[145m] third.
Whiteford didn't have to wait long to get into the winners enclosure with another gutsy performance seeing him take out the 3200 metres in 9:32.86, a Borders 1-2-3 was complete with John McLean, Selkirk[265m] and Rowan Marr[225m] following him over the line.
The Youth's 1600 metres included Celine Roubins[250m] from Begium who is the top 800 metres runner for her age in that country, running with spikes which were a size too small for her and borrowed from Sarah Ross she turned in an excellent performance to finish runner up to recent Thornton Games winner Lewis Blair, Pitreavie AC[300m], Sean Bates, Tullibody[400m] was third.

Not for the first time this season Liam Halliday, Central AC[11.5M] was the victor in the Youths 90 metres, breaking the tape in 9.51 seconds ahead of brother and sister Lewis[20.5] and Laura Blair, Pitreavie AC.[25M].

There were 12 cyclists in action seven in the Open and five in the Youths. Steve Jackson, Glasgow and Matthew Ball, Linlithgow shared the honours with two wins each, Jackson was the victor in the 1600 and 4800 with Ball first over the line in the 3200 and Deil.

Unusual in a Youth cycle race all five riders crossed the finish line within the space of 10 metres, that was in the 800 which was won by Dylan Lindsay, Glenrothes. The 1600 went to Chris Horden, Linlithgow.

There was a big field in the heavy events results to follow.


Published: 2014-07-26 21:27:29