What we do for our members
- Administer our system of national and international championships, allowing members to attract sponsors, competitors and crowds
- Use our Internet presence to cover details of member events with links to their sites, plus our prompt online results service, providing a ‘one-stop shop’ for information covering all members
- We run a series of leagues throughout the season, encouraging athletes to participate at more member events, enhancing events that wouldn't otherwise attract as many competitors
- SHGA Representatives attend events, ensuring consistency, observation of the rules and good sportsmanship
- Regularly review our rules of competition to bring them up-to-date and in line with best practice, ensuring fairness across events
- Provide a forum and opportunity for members to make wider changes and exert greater influence over Games and athletic events nationally
- Provide a consolidated professional approach to the national tourist organizations, helping gain greater visibility for Highland Games
- Demonstrate our commitment to clean sport by providing the only Highland Games drug testing service in the UK
- Keep members updated with essential compliance information (e.g. new guidelines on Child Protection legislation)
- Work with the event law specialists at TodsMurray LLP Solicitors to maintain a free legal helpline for members
- Through our block-insurance scheme we provide members with basic insurance cover at no additional cost to the members
The Scottish Highland Games Association is able to use its contacts and influence to lobby on behalf of the Games, and to get the profile of Highland Games raised higher than individual events would manage. We can also achieve economies of scale and pass savings on to members – the benefits of membership are significantly greater than the modest costs involved.
If you represent an organisation that is interested in becoming a member or in being affiliated with us, please get in touch with the secretary.